Service Corporation International
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Service Corporation International
- Associate Requisition ID
- # of Openings
- Category (Portal Searching)
Overview & Responsibilities
SCI is certified as a Great Place to Work® by the Great Place to Work Institute. In a recent survey, our associates said that their work has special meaning and is not “just a job”. We currently have a full time opening for a General Manager at H.P. Brandt Funeral Home in Pittsburgh, PA. This is the opportunity to be part of the Dignity Memorial® provider network and grow your career in the funeral, cremation and cemetery services business. For us, there is no greater responsibility than celebrating each life like no other and making a difference in the lives of people we serve.
Provide guidance, and direction to location leadership in order to effectively and profitably manage the business, finances, marketing, customer growth, and people resources. Provide direction and assistance with short-term planning as well as the achievement of annual sales revenue, production targets, and Profit & Loss (P&L) goals. Foster a sense of ownership in the location and pride in the staff, manage costs in a disciplined manner, and encourage profitable case volume growth. Manages location management at multiple locations and multiple lines of business within the Funeral Home industry.
Business & Financial Management 50 %
- Work with Market Leadership to understand long-term and short-term business goals and operational priorities in order to provide guidance to location leadership. Provides advice, guidance, and approves annual business plans, budgets, financial, production, and revenue goals.
- Accountable for monitoring and achieving annual financial goals within Area of Responsibility (AOR). Responsible for transferring financial knowledge and how daily activities impact financial outcomes to location leadership to facilitate making appropriate sustainable business decisions. Approve expenditures and invoices.
- Provides marketing, advertising, community, and customer guidance to location leadership. Leverages corporate and market resources to expand brand and product awareness in order to increase sales and market share. Develop and implement plans to improve customer satisfaction index and on-line community reviews.
- Resolves complex problems providing resolution guidance to location leadership and empowering accountability. Assure the location’s operating practices comply with applicable federal & state regulations and Company policies. Assure safety, quality control, and compliance standards are adhered.
Collaboration and Communication 25%
- Collaborate with colleagues and market leadership to remove operational barriers, encourage ideas, and business or operational enhancements. Work with Market Leadership and Corporate Departments on product, process, and technology needs and improvements.
- Develop and implement communication plans for key initiatives and change management. Oversee implementation of initiatives and manage change providing leadership and guidance as needed.
- Responsible for communicating long-term strategy and annual goals to location leadership. Assist staff with further cascading and messaging.
People Development 25%
- Develop a strong, trusting, empowered, and reliable team. Understand team members career aspirations and provide assignments to develop skills and/or close gaps. Constructively address issues and provide tangible and appropriate feedback. Develop frontline supervisors’ proactive and collaborative management style in order to increase employee engagement and minimize Monitor training and licensing requirements ensuring staff is re-trained/licensed prior to expiration.
- Responsible for screening candidates (internal and external) and hiring or promoting a skilled and effective staff. Establishes pay, recommends pay increases, special pays, and career advancements.
- Discipline staff as necessary. Writes development plans to close behavior or skill gaps. Collaborates with Human Resources throughout discipline, development, and termination processes. Recommends and discusses terminations with Market Leadership.
Other responsibilities as requested or assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications
Education, Experience & Skills
Education, Certifications, and Licensure
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; Technical schooling diploma Funeral Services/ Mortuary Science preferred; Bachelor’s degree in Mortuary Science where required by state law
- Applicable state Funeral Director licensure required
- Perusing an Associate’s Degree in Finance, Marketing, Business or related discipline strongly preferred
Experience & Skills
- At least eleven (11) years industry experience with progressively increased customer facing responsibilities with knowledge of industry competitive pricing, demographic patterns, and market competition
- At least six (6) years’ experience managing people and effectively managing budgets and expense control required
- Knowledgeable in Financial and Business acumen
- Professional interpersonal skills as well as cultural sensitivity and tactfulness to interact with a variety of cultures and language barriers
- Proficient in MS Office suite including mail, word, excel, & power point
Who we are. What we do.
We’re more than North America’s largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services. We are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters who are devoted to the communities where we live and work. We are more than 20,000 dedicated individuals who provide caring assistance to families in need, honor veterans and public servants and deliver lifesaving programs to help keep children and seniors safe.
We operate under the umbrella of the Dignity Memorial network of 1,800 funeral homes and cemeteries. Dignity Memorial providers care for more than 300,000 families each year and understand the importance of thoughtful, personalized arrangements. We believe creating meaningful ways to pay tribute to a loved one begins with compassion and is shaped by the understanding that each life is truly unique. For us, there is no greater responsibility than honoring and preserving the story of one’s life.
- Health benefits (medical, dental, vision, life)
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan with company match
- Vacation and sick time
- Tuition reimbursement
- Funeral discounts, and more
SCI offers advanced on-line training resources, career advancement opportunities in the largest organization in the industry, attractive benefits, and a wonderful community to serve with plenty of culture and personality. For additional information regarding our company, please visit our corporate site at www.sci-corp.com.
As used herein, “SCI” refers to Service Corporation International and its affiliated companies.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V