The Fresh Market
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Produce Department Manager
at The Fresh Market
- Requisition ID
- # of Openings
- Talent Areas
- Produce Department
Assistant Produce Managers are responsible for assisting with department inventory, pricing integrity, merchandising, labor, and other operational processes to company standards. Assistant Produce Managers will assist with ordering, and work with the Produce Manager and Produce Clerks with receiving, unloading, storage, and rotation of product according to the production tools and standards to maximize sales and gross profit. Also, the Assistant Produce Manager is responsible for the presentation and merchandising of produce displays, spillovers and wet walls. Assistant Produce Managers will help ensure all new Produce associates receive proper training and tools to succeed. Assistant Produce Managers will also ensure a high level of customer engagement and satisfaction at all times by answering customer questions regarding services and products offered.
- Assists all functions and activities of the Produce Department. Helps to manage and reduce losses due to shrink, damage and pilferage.
- Making sure all product from the back room and coolers, as well as on the sales floor, meets company standards for quality and freshness; rotating product and checking dates throughout the department on a daily basis; assisting with weekly cycle counts in the department.
- Assisting as needed with handling, cutting, slicing and preparing a variety of the department’s specialty produce items and fruit and veggie platters/trays throughout the day per specific customer requests and to maintain quality product levels all while ensuring outstanding customer service; sample products as needed.
- Demonstrate the ability to be organized, to work independently and with the team to provide a great atmosphere for both customers and employees, all while maintaining the overall appearance of the department; ensuring cases are well-merchandised and properly signed.
- Managing inventory and ordering for the department; enforces and follows department practices regarding rotation, checking dates, receiving, stocking and the unloading of product to ensure freshness and quality. Unloading and breaking down deliveries as needed; stocking cases and coolers with products; maintain proper product assortment, merchandising product quality on wet walls, cold cases and on the sales floor; following rotation standards when replenishing product levels.
- Assisting with the making of produce items according to TFM written recipes and processes for preparing, assembling, and mixing fresh ingredients. Preparation includes a variety of steps that may include: cutting, crisping, chopping, slicing, and mixing produce, and other food products together as indicated within TFM recipes.
- Follow and utilize the department production tools and perform other duties and assignments as directed by management.
- Monitors temperature of cases and storage areas, and reports any failures to the Produce Manager. Follows maintenance and sanitation procedures established by TFM for coolers, spill overs and wet walls, and reports problems to the Department Manager.
- Quality and safety duties include receiving, rotating, inspecting and storing products to ensure quality, following proper cleaning and sanitation procedures, operating equipment in a safe and focused manner while tracking date and rotation of products and completing any necessary reports. Follow all company guidelines and procedures, to include but not limited to, safety and sanitation and preparation while providing overall exceptional service to ensure a positive and lasting customer impression.
- Assist with prep area cleaning including disassembling, washing, rinsing, and sanitizing all equipment, prep-tables, pans, and utensils, and washing floors, walls, coolers, and storage racks. Adhere to all local, state, and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Observe all store rules, Company policies and handbook guidelines, shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by store management. Must wear approved hat or nonslip shoes.
- Maintains knowledge of weekly ad items; gives customers direction of product location throughout the store.
- Maintains excellent communication within the produce department and store management at all times.
- Addressing and greeting customers; answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product recommendations and accommodating special requests and sampling as needed.
- Responsible for the financial and overall success of the department.
- Ensuring the retention of employees and minimizing labor costs.
- Demonstrating the necessary leadership skills.
- Ability to listen to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences.
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring practices are strictly adhered to TFM standards.
- Prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within specified deadlines.
- Utilize training resources and fellow team members to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics.
- Have knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide and assist customers in finding complete meal solutions.
- Oral and written communication skills that allow for productive communication with co-workers, management and customers.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
What you bring to the job:
- Ability to follow through on deliverables and meet objectives and deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Superior customer focus
- Be a team player, goal-oriented
- Excellent time management
- Ability to perform in an intense, fast paced environment.
Work Environment/Physical Responsibilities
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment.
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, repetitive grasping, bending and reaching.
- Responsible for moving or lifting an average of 20-40lbs.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures (coolers, freezer, outdoors, etc.).
- The safe and proper handling of slicers, knives and other kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours.
At The Fresh Market we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. The Fresh Market hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position to be filled. The position covered by this is expressly declared to be 'at will,' meaning the Company has the right to terminate the incumbent's employment at any time, with or without cause. Any written or oral promises or representations to the contrary are expressly disavowed and should not be relied upon by any employee. Any change to this 'at will' employment status must be in writing and signed by the company designated personnel.