The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Geo Group
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: J3S0H56JDL1B0LFBCGH
Categories: Healthcare - RNs & Nurse Management, Management - Mid-Level (Manager, Director), Healthcare - ALL CATEGORIES, Management - ALL CATEGORIES
Facility: MOSHANNON VALLEY CORRECTIONAL CENTE
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of nursing and clerical staff. Evaluates and provides comprehensive nursing care in a correctional setting while observing and maintaining the requirements of security.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a good working relationship with correctional personnel, nursing staff, contract providers, and outside provider agencies.
- Utilizes established corporate and correctional policies and procedures in making decisions.
- Responsible for staff scheduling and supervision including:
- Assisting management in recruiting, orienting, supervising and evaluating the performance of nursing and clerical staff.
- Directs the work of other nursing and clerical staff. This includes the selection, hiring, evaluating job performance, employee training/development, promoting and any disciplinary action, including termination
- Staff Scheduling:
- Ensures adequate coverage on all shifts.
- Fills in as needed during periods of short staffing
- Monitors call-ins and use of overtime.
- Monitors staff compliance with facility policies and unit directives by counseling employees who violate policies established by the company or the facility, after consultation with management.
- Ensures the proper flow of relevant information (policies, procedures, in-service, problems, etc.) to supervisor and supervised personnel.
- Monitors and ensures strict staff compliance with all applicable pharmacy laws.
- Organizes monthly in-service education. Ensures that staff receives in-service as required.
- Arranges for staff participation in off-facility workshops for CEUs and current nursing practice.
- Maintains current licensure on all staff requiring such licensure.
- Organizes daily activities and ensures adequate staffing for these activities.
- Maintains shift assignments.
- Reports any staff problems to management on a regular basis.
- Ensures adequate supplies and pharmaceuticals to meet the needs of the detainee/inmate population. Reports any over-usage, vendor problems, needs, recommendations and budgetary concerns to management.
- Ensures that detainees/inmates arriving at the facility are adequately oriented to services available and procedure for obtaining medical services.
- Ensures that all detainees/inmates assigned to work as medical orderlies are trained in the handling of contaminated waste and proper cleaning of contaminated surfaces. Monitors their compliance with instructions.
- Performs random audits of medical records, logs, sharps, narcotic counts, outside referrals and sick call, etc. Counsel employees or provide in-service for noted errors. All findings shall be submitted to the management for review and recommendations.
- Participates in quality assurance activities. Makes recommendations for monitoring needs and plans activities for correcting deficiencies. Reports problem areas in writing to management.
- Monitors the assignments, review of records, and care plans of the chronic disease clinics ensuring follow through per policies and procedures.
- Reviews activities of infection control nurse and makes recommendations for containment of infections.
- Assists management in monitoring environmental sanitation, safety and health related issues by performing inspections. Generates recommendations based on inspections and review of other inspections to management for further management dissemination.
- Responds to informal grievances from inmates to management’s designee. Reports any grievance with potential liability to the management for his/her information and consideration of action.
- Monitors care of serious medical conditions with the potential for life threatening or liability issues for appropriate follow-through.
- Assumes on-call status for staff problems. Assumes on-call status in absence of direct management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s or Bachelor's degree from a NLN (National League of Nurses) approved program; graduate of an accredited school of nursing required. Must have a current, unrestricted license to practice as Registered Nurse in the state the facility is located. Maintains a current copy of license on file at the facility at all times.
- Two (2) years of direct work experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience and competence in performance of the following services: crisis intervention, medical emergencies, physical assessment, medical nursing care, and psychiatric nursing care preferred.
- Must have the ability to work without direct, immediate supervision in performing nursing diagnosis, and be able provide appropriate follow through treatment.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!